Friday, May 4, 2012

Sports Related Injury Helps Me Grow as a Teacher

November 7th, 2011, I suffered a sports-related injury. My ACL, MCL, and meniscus in my left knee were torn at the same time... with doctors stating that I would have a recovery time of at least a year until I would return to 100%.
As a martial arts school owner, this was obviously a devastating blow not only to how I would teach class, but also how I would need to overcome this as a mental hurdle. Teaching around 40+ hours, as well as enjoying trips to the gym and going for runs each week, put me in an athletic mindset. I was also elated prior to the injury, as I was given a huge compliment. Two members of the United States National Taekwondo team told me that I should try out for the team... as they felt I would be a good representative of the country.
For over a month, I was sidelined from operating my business, both in the office and on the mat. As the head instructor at my martial arts school, this was a scary process to experience. I am eternally glad, however, for the assistance that my mother and advanced students gave me during this time.
Seven months down the road, my knee is stable, for the most part. I still participate in rehab exercises on a daily basis, but I can see the slow improvement. Since most of my teaching now consists of very light demonstrations and more speaking instead of showing, I have grown exponentially in teaching Taekwondo, Hap Ki Do, and Tang Soo Do. It has also helped me grow as a leader.
I am able to sit back and examine each and every one of my students, young and old, much better than before the injury. More on the sidelines at the moment, it is easier not only to pinpoint weaknesses and strengths, but to correct or appreciate them moreso with a commanding voice and presence.
My slowed-down physicality has also assisted with my lesson plans. The class ideas that I have come up with, be it sparring technique, traditional forms practice, self defense, boot-camp conditioning exercises, or even referee leadership skills, are much more regimented and solid than prior to my injury.
As far as handling office duties, I am also more prompt and focused. I have a set schedule that I adhere to, making sure that each and every responsibility is taken care of. It is interesting to note that my school has more white belts currently than in recent memory. I find it intriguing, because even though I may be sidelined due to an injury, new students keep signing up. I am very happy with New Edge Martial Arts at the moment.
My point in the matter is this- even though I have been weakened physically, I called upon my other skills to assist, as opposed to giving up. It is too easy to just decide to quit when the going gets rough. It takes character to overcome obstacles and triumph. I believe that everyone has that ability to fight and succeed, no matter what hardships come before them. I hope that anyone who suffers from an injury, illness, or anything else for that matter realizes that they are stronger than what harms them. Everyone has worth.

God Bless!

1 comment:

Madalyn Oconnell said...

First off, I would like to say that your story is quite inspiring. I know for a fact that dealing with sports-related injury can be tough. Some may feel depressed throughout this ordeal. But you were able to rise to the occasion and simply look at it on another perspective. I hope that you are doing much better now. Any updates on your ACL, MCL, and meniscus? Keep your hopes and determination up, and I’m sure that you will be fine!