Sunday, November 8, 2009

Looking back on martial arts and motivation...

This is something that I have recently been pondering, and felt the need to jot it down. Hopefully it is of some interest.

As a kid I never really accepted the habits that my mom or dad tried to place on me as far as exercise was concerned. I always had to be prompted to go outside and play--- be it basketball, running around, riding my bike--- you name it. My parents even went so far as to purchase a bowflex for the family, which I used MAYBE a good 25 times in my early-mid teens. I just wasn't motivated.
On top of that, I displayed some pretty bad eating rituals- craving McDonalds or some type of fast food several times a week. I was one of the heavy kids, and shied away from just about every team sport (from a combination of being picked last for competitions to me just not caring much about the sport.) This, among other things, led to mild depression in my youth and just general unhappiness.

A positive constant for me, though, was the martial arts. Sure, there were times that I did not want to go to class and practice (just me being lazy,) but I actually did have an overall sense of interest in the hobby/sport/way of life. In my mind, even though there were kids that far exceeded my athleticism in the sport, I was able to learn and study those skills at my own pace- without sitting on the bench or being picked last. Starting with my mom and kid brother when I was eight was probably one of the turning points in my life. Even though I had little to no drive to exercise or eat right in those early years, I gained an increasing love for the skills on the training room floor. Almost 18 years have passed, and I now co-own my own martial arts academy (New Edge Martial Arts, LLC,) alongside my mom.

I fullheartedly believe that the years I have spent practicing Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Tang Soo Do, Hap Ki Do, and other artforms have helped develop me into the man I am today... and I can say with honesty as well as amazement that I am in better shape now as an almost 26 year old than I ever have been. I enjoy being able to push myself by means of exercise--- I find it a fun, healthy way to not only release stress but just gain a better understanding of who I am and what I aspire to become. It has been years since I have had fast food, and I try to eat as healthy as possible- I also have never given into pressure when it comes to smoking, or drugs... and drinking just doesn't do it for me. As far as the confidence level is concerned- owning a school/teaching has developed my people-to-people skills immensely- I like myself and like meeting new individuals. I'm not sure if I could say the same thing if it weren't for the martial arts and the discipline I have developed due to training.

It is my goal to share at least a fraction of these habits with my students- young and old. Children are open to a great many different opinions from peers, adults, and the environment as a whole- I feel that martial arts and exercise in general are great alternatives that can help develop oneself for years to come. Coming from someone who used to be self-conscious, overweight, and unmotivated... it has done wonders for me. As far as adults--- the comradery that can be found in such activities is far worth the price of admission. I have made countless friendships over the years through my training, and it is a joy to witness my adult students experience the same thing. These training partners can push one another to continue their pursuit of a healthy lifestlye... proper exercise, eating right, self confidence, etc. A few of my current students/friends have actually motivated me into running several miles at a time early Sunday mornings. I enjoy the work out and would never have thought of doing such a thing if I had not met them. It is a great way to start the day, and it makes me smile to know that I have done so much in just a few hours after waking up.

For me, my motivation to be active, happy, and healthy... and share it with others is a combination of my faith, friends, students, martial arts, exercise, and experiences... it is all encompassing and goes hand in hand, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: